July 2020 Newsletter
MAYE Corps News
MAYE Corps donates proceeds to local Atlanta organizations
Back in the spring, we began fundraising for wages for a summer intern to lead our community outreach work angle of our Projects for Peace grant project. However, due to COVID-19, this grant funding was frozen. We’ve decided to donate 40% of those proceeds ($44 each) towards two local Atlanta organizations: the Solutions Not Punishment Collaborative and the Homeless Black Trans Women Fund. The remaining 60% will be reserved for future MAYE Corps projects.
MAYE Corps Energy Equity Interview Series
This summer, we’re kicking off another series: interviews all about energy equity and energy burdens! Be on the lookout for our first interview soon!
MAYE Corps kicks off educational video series
To stay safe and healthy during COVID-19, digital resources are now more important than ever. That’s why we at MAYE Corps are kicking off a series of educational videos about energy equity, energy burdens, and Metro Atlanta! Check out our first video, just released, here, titled “What is energy equity?”.
Join the Partnership for Southern Equity in their second installment of the KTSE Summer Southeast Chat & Chews series: "Keep that Same Energy: What necessary action from young leaders is needed right now?
Featuring special guests: Dwayne Patterson, VP of Strategy and Engagement of Partnership for Southern Equity.
So what are we going to do about it? During this conversation, those same leaders (and maybe a few more) will discuss what they have seen and what is needed to be done. Ideas around the action that we can take to combat the inequities will be born and hopefully, a network of equity youth warriors will be born to support each other in these efforts across the region.”
Partnership for Southern Equity Talks Highlight Unequal Impact of COVID-19
"How often do you think about your race?" "What is racism?" "Is it important to name racism?"
These were some of the questions in an audience poll during a recent webinar hosted by the Partnership for Southern Equity. Given by Dr. Camara Jones, the presentation emphasized the importance of naming racist practices for dismantling systemic inequality. The event was the first in an ongoing PSE series, "The Urgency of Now," which features "conversations on how the global COVID-19 pandemic sheds light on the health, economic, racial and social inequities."
In her talk, Dr. Jones urged attendees to identify acts of racism around them—whether institutionalized, personally-mediated, or internalized—by asking, "how is racism operating here?" Only after recognizing racism at work in our society, such as in housing discrimination and unequal access to jobs, health, and education, can we act to achieve equity for Black and Brown communities, Dr. Jones asserted.
MAYE corps members were glad to attend this illuminating talk and look forward to the next event in the series to be announced. Be sure to follow the Partnership for Southern Equity on Facebook for updates on the "Urgency of Now" series!